Thursday, October 15, 2009

Palm Island

Tonight I went to my first 'house party' Dubai style. More or less it was the same as any party at any house in a college town. The main difference, though, was the setting. It was hosted at a villa on a man-made island in the Persian Gulf.

There was a DJ, a bar and a beach. The most striking aspect was the "fight" I witnessed as soon as I exited the taxi. Here in Dubai the police are so ever-present and scary that fights play out like peacocks vying for a mate. No, touching just lots of loud arguments followed by six people "holding back" each individual. Obviously most of these individuals would last very shortly at an American college.

Yet, tonight I met more people from more countries then I could have ever imagined. A South African, Northern Californian, German, a Swiss guy, a Saudi, a Brit and a Hungarian-Iraqi. Most importantly, I realized that no matter what ethnicity or nationality every person I met was so much the same in this setting that it made me realize the common humanity that we all share. Plus, I got in for free.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a pretty good time! missing you at the red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT!!! yeah yeah...whatever blah blah- you got in for free?!?!??!?!? i didnt even get in for free

    ReplyDelete