Friday, August 28, 2009

Dubaiiyyyyyyyyy

Well, I'm here in Dubai writing from my new home for the semester. The flights to get here were O.K. except for the fact that, on both flights, there were so many children. From London to Dubai I was literally surrounded by cute little British children on all sides. While annoying, it was all almost worth it to here their vodka-tonic-pounding parents riling their kids up when we were flying directly over Dubai. Screams of "Dubaiiyyyyyyyyyy" with perfect British accents was just too much to handle.

Dubai, lit up as we descended was an incredible sight. If I wasn't so jet-lagged I probably would have been yelling "Dubaiiyyyyyyy" with the little urchins. In the middle of nowhere in the desert, every road had street lamps at perfectly spaced intervals giving the impression that the entire city and every block was perfectly trimmed with Christmas lights. I was in awe with my forehead glued to the plane window. The skyscrapers, mansions, resorts and islands were all outlined and lit extravagantly making Las Vegas look like Boone.

After fighting my way through a sea of children to get off the plane, I spent an hour just trying to get out of the airport. When the front doors finally slid open the intense heat punched me in the face. It was 100 degrees at 11:00 at night. I eventually got a taxi, got to my hotel and passed out.

This morning, I guess it's 3am EST, I took another taxi across the city to AUD. On my way I passed 20 car dealerships, what looked like all nine (eight?) planets sunk halfway into the ground with rollercoasters connecting them, more skyscrapers then I could count, the world's tallest building with cranes literally attached to the side of the builing a hundred stories up and a beautiful mosque with a Cinnabon attached to it.

Yet, despite it all I am now in my new dorm room and perhaps the only student here. It's Ramadan and it's Friday (think Sunday, Christmas week except everyone fasts during the day) and I miss all you guys so much. Now I'm off to the mall to get an outlet converter and maybe go skiing.

I have no idea whats going on.

1 comment:

  1. That is ridiculously exciting. It's too bad you aren't part of the Ramadan festivities though; I've been joining people for dinner at 11pm over here. I'm still in complete awe that some people can go from sunrise to sunset without even drinking water.

    ReplyDelete